Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What's luck got to do with it?

I’ve had a ‘lucky’ day today as I was able to coach all my clients over the phone while also doing some networking mixing, blogging, online networking, cooking and playing with my kids….I guess I was just ‘lucky’ that I had time to do all of that today or wasn’t I?

Don’t you hate it when you get to achieve something really important at work or in your personal life and people blame it to your luck?

Certainly I’d love to be as lucky as William Kiefer who won big time in the lottery a week ago right here where I live. He is donating 60% of it to charity. I could have been the winner, if I only played the lottery!

If I let luck determined my life, then I’d be better off letting the stars determining my future. So, here’s to my original question, what does luck have to do with the outcome of our choices?

It is like swimming with sharks and having the bad luck of being bitten by one. Isn’t it truth we control our choices; therefore, our actions are consequence of our own purposeful intention?

My grandma never wished me luck when I was going for a hard test in college; she would place my head between her hands and whispered to my ears her hopes that my judgment would make the right call. Didn’t I know how wise her words were at the time!

Luck is not anything else that the results of your judgment call or is it simply that?

I have a client who lost her very successful job at a major international corporation, after working with me in refining her Professional Brand; she did her homework and started selling it among her contacts. She got interviews with stakeholders and decision makers of companies that did not even have jobs available on her technical field as she understood the importance of being ahead of the game, but guessed what; she got a job only a few weeks after her job search started. Wasn’t she ‘lucky’?

Is it a ‘lucky’ coincidence to find the job of your dreams or just the result of a lot of hard work, preparation and use of multiple resources?

I see quite often e-mails from people asking for help to find a job just because they’ve never done a bad job in their careers. I wonder they must be pretty average not to define themselves in positive terms. Those people do not provide a compelling reason to help them, to refer them to a potential employer. They do not even offer a single career highlight to be used in their ‘defense’; therefore, they are out of luck when nobody passes their resume to potential hiring managers or recruiters.

Decide today to play your lucky card! That means, go and invest in yourself, work hard towards your vision and keep an eye on your competition. Thomas Jefferson said: I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it’.

No comments: